Finding the right builder can be a little like buying a secondhand car – almost everyone has a horror story but it isn’t as difficult as you might think to source the right builder. Here are some favourite tips to source the right builder for your house extension in south London.
- Ask around – maybe you have a friend who lives locally who has recently had a house extension in south-west London. Take their advice. A builder who is familiar with the local authority will be a real help when it comes to planning consents
- Use social media – if you belong to a local community group then this can be one of the best locations to widen the net and trawl neighbours and residents who have recently had a home extension in south London. People love to give their opinion on Facebook groups and forums so there should be no shortage of information about who the good guys are and who to avoid
- Try a recognised Find a Builder service – the Federation of Master Builders have their own online search facility which will bring up FMB members in your area. These builders are checked and inspected at the point at which they join the FMB
- Prepare a written brief – don’t rely on a verbal description of the work, give each builder on your shortlist a written brief and a copy of the drawings if available
- Ask three builders to quote – don’t be tempted to focus on the cheapest but drill down into the detail so you can work out what’s included in the price – don’t forget things like the removal of rubbish and waste
- Talk to previous customers – when you think you have found the right builder, ask to talk to some of their previous customers
Doran Brothers Construction have been building house extensions across south east London and beyond and have a portfolio of satisfied customers. For friendly, professional and reliable service, take a look at our website. www.doranbrosconstruction.co.uk